A series of 10 black and white negatives taken for the Ministry of Works and showing post-war rebuilding of blocks of flats on the Whitmore Estate in Hoxton. The estate dates from the inter war years, with 12 'houses' or blocks of flats built between 1924 and 1937. In 1941 a German bomb badly damaged Horner Houses and Stringer Houses on the north side of Nuttall Street. These photographs are likely to show the rebuilding of these flats. The Ministry of Works was the government department tasked with alleviating the acute housing shortages of the immediate postwar years, mostly through the construction of traditional and prefabricated, modular housing but also through the renovation or rebuilding of existing housing stock.
A number of collections within the PSA01/04/H series record the progression of this construction project. They are often documented in monthly intervals.
The original Ministry of Works storage envelope lists the operator as “D” and the division as “D.M.L.F” (Directorate of Mobile Labour Force).
3 of the 10 images were catalogued and digitised as part of a 2020 project.
This Volume contains the following materials:
Source: Historic England Archive
Brick, Mid 20th Century Flats, Construction