A collection of 9 black and white negatives, showing the construction of Howard prefabricated house, in Iffley, Oxford. The Ministry of Works was the government department tasked with the organisation and efficiency of the push for postwar housing construction, mostly through the construction of prefabricated, modular housing. The Temporary Housing Act of 1944/5 was intended to alleviate the acute housing shortages of the immediate postwar years. . A number of individual designs and construction methods for housing were built during the 1940s. The architect Sir Frederick Gibberd designed both the Howard house and the BISF prefabricated home. The Howard was manufactured by John Howard and Co. Ltd and contained a steel frame and asbestos cement cladding. The dwelling had a clearly defined industrial aesthetic and around 1500 were built in the immediate postwar years. There is a large estate of Howard houses in the Rose Hill and Iffley area of Oxford. The houses in the images were constructed there, along roads including Court Farm Road and Mortimer Road. It has not been possible to precisely locate where each of the houses depicted were built.
The original Ministry of Works storage envelope lists the operator as being “F” and the division as "D.M.L.F" (Directorate of Mobile Labour Force).
5 of the 9 images were catalogued and digitised as part of a 2020 project.
This Volume contains the following materials:
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Creator of Archive: Gibberd, Frederick: Ministry Of Works
Cement, Steel, Mid 20th Century Prefabricated House, Construction