A series of 9 black and white negatives taken for the Ministry of Works and showing the renovation of London County Council houses on the Wormholt Estate at Shepherd's Bush. LCC purchased the land for the Wormholt Estate in 1919. Between 1926-1928 LCC built almost 800 'cottages' influenced by Hampstead Garden Suburb. A further 500 were added by Hammersmith Council on land adjoining the original development.
The Ministry of Works was the government department tasked with the organisation and efficiency of the push for postwar housing provision. As well as improvements to existing housing stock the MoW also built new housing. The Temporary Housing Act of 1944/5 was intended to alleviate the acute housing shortages of the immediate postwar years, mostly through the construction of prefabricated, modular housing. Traditional and modern brick methods of construction were used alongside the experimental prefabricated models. The original Ministry of Works storage envelope lists the operator as “D” and the division as “D.M.L.F” (Directorate of Mobile Labour Force).
This Volume contains the following materials:
Source: Historic England Archive
Early 20th Century Housing Estate, Council Housing Estate, Renovation