A series of 10 black and white negatives taken for the Ministry of Works and showing the construction of local authority housing at Abbots Langley. The contents include exterior views of houses on Pryor Close as well as interior views of heating devices (radiator and fires).
The Ministry of Works was the government department tasked with the organisation and efficiency of the push for postwar housing provision. The Temporary Housing Act of 1944/5 was intended to alleviate the acute housing shortages of the immediate postwar years, mostly through the construction of prefabricated, modular housing. Traditional and modern brick methods of construction were used alongside the experimental prefabricated models.
The original Ministry of Works storage envelope lists the operator as “D” and the division as “D.M.L.F” (Directorate of Mobile Labour Force).
This Volume contains the following materials:
Source: Historic England Archive
Mid 20th Century Housing Estate, Mid 20th Century Council Housing Estate, Mid 20th Century Council House