Georgian Architecture in the British Isles 1714-1830
Hardback by James Stevens Curl
£50.00Buy from bookshop
- New and revised edition of a hugely successful guide to Georgian architecture with many new illustrations
- Hailed as the 'best book available on its subject' by the Georgian Group
- Celebrates all the main themes found in Georgian building design and covers the whole of the British Isles
First published in 1993, this is a fully revised and newly illustrated guide to the architecture of the British Isles during the reigns of the first four Georges (1714-1830).
The term 'Georgian' suggests a dignified, often symmetrical facade of brick, with elegant sash-windows, a doorcase (usually with a fanlight), and a well-mannered and reticent appearance. The book shows the remarkable diversity of the architecture created during the era, from the grander Classicism influenced by the architecture of Italy, notably that of Andrea Palladio (1508-80), to the exotic tastes for Chinoiserie, Rococo, Gothick, and even the Indian styles. All of these aspects are discussed, setting the scene in respect of notions concerned with the aesthetic categories of the Beautiful, the Picturesque, and the Sublime and drawing attention especially to the importance of the Picturesque during the Georgian period. This handsome book is a celebration of the main themes found in building-design of the time, and an examination of the stylistic choices of the age: Palladianism, the search for uncorrupted Classical sources through the study of Antiquity, the various revivals of Roman, Greek, and Egyptian styles, the taste for the exotic and for Orientalism, and the growing interest in medieval architecture, monastic remains and ruins which played such an important part in the Gothic Revival.
Comprehensively illustrated with many images in colour and supported by an extensive bibliography, this clear and concise text should enable all those interested in the Georgian period to look at the surviving architecture with informed and discerning eyes.
- The Georgian Period
- The Second Palladian Revival
- The Romantic Revolution I
- The Romantic Revolution II
- Archaeology and the Revival of Classical Antiquity
- Georgian Churches
- Industrial, Commercial, Institutional, Educational, & Other Buildings
- Georgian Pleasures
- Planning of Villages and Towns
- Places for the Living and for the Dead
Please click on the gallery images to enlarge.
- Printed Price: £50.00
- Series: Architectural History
- Publication Status: Completed
- Format: Hardback
- Physical Size: 276 x 219 mm
- Pages: 452
- Illustrations: 465, Colour and b&w
- Product Code: 51608
- ISBN: 9781848020863
Also of interest...
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Email: [email protected]