Guidance for Grants Projects
Heritage Protection Commissions and Capacity Building Programme
This guide will help you apply for grant funding from Historic England through the Heritage Protection Commissions and Capacity Building Programme. It is written for those considering an application for funding. It will provide you with information on how to apply, the approval process and the management of your project to its conclusion.
This updates our Guidance for Grants Projects published in 2022.
It is one of two guidance documents to assist in the preparation of an application for grant funding or a tender for projects where Historic England has issued a project brief. The other document is: Guidance for Tendered Projects.
1. Preparing your application
2. Preparing your project design
3. Agreeing and carrying out your project
4. Completing your project
5. Editorial work
6. Publication Grants
7. Storage Grants
8. Digital Archiving
9. Online access to OASIS
10. National Planning Policy Framework assistance cases
11. Data Management Plans and Statements
12. Research Ethics
13. Climate Change
14. Modern Slavery
15. Equality and diversity
16. Complaints procedure
Appendix 1 - Application documentation
Appendix 2 - Progress documentation
Appendix 3 - Disseminating and publishing your work
Appendix 4 - Business case and Public Value Framework
Appendix 5 - Accessibility
Changes to guidance
- Introduction section
- six corporate priorities from Corporate Plan 2023-26 added
- Section 2.11 Inflation and VAT
- Information on VAT updated and made clearer link to HMRC guidance on VAT and grants added.
- Inflation rate for 23/24 removed.
- Section 3.6 Publicity
- changed to reflect that the ‘Funded by UK Government logo is available on our website.
- Section 5 Editorial Work
- section added on referees.
- Section 6.2 Publication grants: How to apply
- added the need to complete a P2a form.
- Section 6.3 Publication grants: What we expect from your publication
- number of copies of the report needed changed from five to four.
- Encouragement of having digital open access versions of publications.
- Changes to percentage of funding for open access and non-open access publications.
- Section 7.1 Storage grants
- what funding is available - ownership of archive clarified.
- Section 7.2 Storage grants: How and when to apply
- funding application for additional eligible costs.
- amended how to claim the funding.
- Section 12 added on Research Ethics.
- Appendix 1
- Project Proposal and Project Design control grid - UK Educational Institution ID added
- Research Ethics section and policy details section added into suggested format of PD template.
- Appendix 2
- Research Ethics questions added to closure report template.
- Appendix 3
- Electronic publication changed to digital publication.
- Series: Guidance
- Publication Status: Completed
- Pages: 48
- Product Code: HEAG065
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Email: [email protected]