The Suffolk Collection
Hardback by Laura Houliston
£50.00Buy from bookshop
- A primary text for the history of the Suffolk Collection (currently housed at Kenwood House) and a source of scholarly information
- The Collection represents a unique array of key personalities of the period and the colourful and detailed paintings are visually eye-catching
- Each item in the collection has an individual catalogue entry and is fully illustrated
This book tells the story of a collection of paintings that belonged to the earls of Suffolk and Berkshire prior to being gifted to the nation in 1974.
The paintings date from the late 16th century to the late 19th century and are made up of family portraits, royal portraits and old masters. The collection contains significant, early, full-length English portraits which depict a fascinating family history in the Jacobean times and key personalities of that period.
This lavishly illustrated book includes full catalogue entries for all the items in the collection. It explores the Suffolk Collection from a number of points of view - with contributions from leading specialists in their field - and reassesses the identities of the sitters, considers the artists, their context, the society and family history at the different times, as well as discussing in detail the costume represented and the physical condition of the paintings. Together, the chapters provide a fascinating insight into the collection and its history.
- Introduction - Laura Houliston
- The full-length portrait in early 17th-century Britain - Karen Hearn
- The representation of dress - Susan North
- 'All that glitters…': William Larkin's painting materials and techniques, c1609-19 - Sarah Cove
- The later Stuart portraits - Anna Keay
- Printed Price: £50.00
- Series: Illustrated History
- Publication Status: Completed
- Format: Hardback
- Physical Size: 276 x 219 mm
- Pages: 344
- Illustration: 300, Colour and b&w
- Product Code: 51601
- ISBN: 9781848020801
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
The Suffolk Collection
Please click on the gallery images to enlarge.