Twentieth Century Naval Dockyards Devonport and Portsmouth: Characterisation Report
By Naval Dockyards Society
This characterisation study was commissioned by English Heritage, now Historic England, to increase our overall understanding of the naval dockyard built environment by telling the national story of 20th century dockyards and the particular narratives of Devonport and Portsmouth Dockyards, the two remaining English naval bases.
A research team from the Naval Dockyards Society carried out this commissioned project.
- Acknowledgements and Permissions
- Abbreviations and Glossary
- List of tables
- Abbreviated list of figures
- Part 1: Historical background and characterisation.
- Part 2: Devonport Dockyard in the twentieth century
- Part 3: Portsmouth Dockyard in the twentieth century
- Part 4: Conclusions and recommendations
- Appendix 1: Project methodology
- Appendix 2: List of sources for maps, plans, models, aerial and ground photographs relating to Devonport and Portsmouth Dockyards
- Appendix 3: Devonport Dockyard designations
- Appendix 4: Portsmouth Dockyard designations
- Publication Status: Completed
If you require an alternative accessible version of this document please contact: The Naval Dockyards Society