This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Multi-span bridge called Clapper Bridge 520m SSW of Freeres Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Multi-span bridge called Clapper Bridge 520m SSW of Freeres Farm

List entry Number: 1004482

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Quethiock

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Mellion

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 368

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. The original clapper bridge, built from large slabs of stone is still thought to be contained within the structure of the present bridge, and is a significant survival of this early bridge type. The later rebuilding and elaboration of the bridge demonstrate its continuing importance and add to its interest.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a multi-span bridge over the River Lynher, known as Clapper Bridge. The bridge survives as a four-arched bridge with parapets and cutwaters with refuges above on the west side. Three of the arches are gently curved and the fourth has a flat granite lintel on the south side. The bridge was initially built from clapper stones which were incorporated into a 16th century rebuilding with 19th century additions. In 1480 during the Wars of the Roses, the Lancastrian Richard Edgcumbe of Cotehele referred to a problem encounter at 'Klaper Brygge' with Richard Willoughby, later Lord Broke of Callington. Norden also recorded it as 'Clayper Bridge' in 1584.

The bridge is Listed Grade II (61319).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-436673

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 35180 65251

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 07:46:14.

End of official listing