Barrows in Bath Hole and Bury Hill Plantations
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1004754
Date first listed: 29-Mar-1956
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004754 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 12:15:20.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Park: NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference: SU 22994 19265, SU 23031 19421, SU 23047 19281, SU 23059 19362, SU 23096 19330
Five bowl barrows 360m south-east of Hamptworth Lodge.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite scrub and tree growth the five bowl barrows 360m south-east of Hamptworth Lodge survive comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 September 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument, which falls into fives areas, includes five bowl barrows situated on the summit of a low hill on a ridge forming the watershed between the valleys of the River Blackwater and one of its tributaries. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by quarry ditches from which the construction material was derived which are preserved differentially. The mounds vary in size from 15m up to 26m in diameter and from 1.5m up to 3.5m high. Three have clearly visible ditches of up to 3m wide and 0.5m deep, the others have buried ditches. One mound has a central excavation hollow and another has a flat top.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: WI 507
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
Wiltshire HER SU21NW600, SU21NW601, SU21NW602, SU21NW603 and SU21NW604
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing