Moated site at Court Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005340
Date first listed: 12-Jun-1969
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005340 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 08:38:34.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Mansell Lacy
National Grid Reference: SO 42632 45492
Moat 160m ENE of Mansel Court Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite partial excavation the moat 160m ENE of Mansel Court Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function, development, longevity, social and political significance, domestic arrangements, abandonment and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 28 May 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a moat situated in a valley on the northern bank of a small tributary to the Yazor Brook. The moat survives as an oval platform measuring up to 35m long by 30m wide and 1.6m high surrounded by a partly wet moat of up to 0.8m deep with a causeway to the north west and a partial outer stony bank. The moat and its platform were partially excavated in 1969. Buried stonework identified by subsequent field study led some sources to suggest this might have been a fortified house.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: HE 175
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape 108001, Herefordshire SMR 3206
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing