Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite reductions in the heights of the mounds through past cultivation and early partial excavation, the two bowl barrows 660m south west of Whitehill Cottage forming part of a round barrow cemetery survive comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
The monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes two bowl barrows, forming part of a round barrow cemetery, situated at the summit of a prominent coastal ridge with views across Hill Downs. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by buried ditches, from which the material for the construction of the mound was derived. The western barrow measures 23m in diameter and 0.3m high, and the eastern barrow stands up to 25m in diameter and 3.2m high. There is a central hollow, thought to be the result of Antiquarian excavation, although no details are known.
Other archaeological remains in the vicinity including the other barrows forming the cemetery are the subject of separate schedulings.
PastScape Monument No:-434725