Group of barrows on North Hill Down
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005667
Date first listed: 23-Mar-1927
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005667 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 02:10:38.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 12975 33444
Five bowl barrows 285m north-west of Middle Barn Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite partial early excavation the five bowl barrows 285m north west of Middle Barn Farm survive comparatively well and will retain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 1 July 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes five bowl barrows situated on the upper southern slopes of a spur of North Hill Down forming the eastern valley side of the River Avon. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by partially buried quarry ditches from which the construction material was derived. The barrow mounds range in size from 8m up to 17m in diameter and from 0.3m up to 0.9m high with partially visible ditches of from 2m up to 3m wide and from 0.3m up to 0.5m deep. The group were excavated by Duke and produced mixed results: two contained primary cremations in large urns; one a simple cremation; another a primary urned cremation with two associated cups and the decorated lid of one of these cups is now housed in the British Museum; whilst the remaining barrow produced no significant recorded finds.
Further archaeological remains survive in the vicinity some are scheduled separately but others are not included because they have not been formally assessed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: WI 218
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
Wiltshire HER SU13SW606, SU13SW607, SU13SW608, SU13SW609 and SU13SW610
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing