Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005841
Date first listed: 01-May-1951
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005841 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 05:16:39.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: West Sussex
District: Chichester (District Authority)
Parish: Stedham with Iping
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference: SU 85312 22901
Iping Bridge, 30m north-west of Iping House.
Reasons for Designation
Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. Stone or brick bridges constructed from the medieval period onwards were built with pointed, semicircular or segmental arches.
The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. The theory and practice of masonry construction for bridges reached a high point in the 18th century. After this time increasing demand led to quicker builds with the adoption of iron bridges and later metal truss and suspension bridges.
Despite some partial rebuilding and repairs, Iping Bridge is a good example of a stone multi-span bridge, which survives in very good condition.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 29 October 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a 16th or 17th century multi-span bridge situated on Iping Lane over the River Rother at Iping.
The bridge is constructed of stone with five semi-circular ribbed arches. There are four cutwaters on the upstream side and four on the downstream side. The fifth arch at the north end of the bridge is of later date and has twin buttresses on the downstream side. Partial rebuilding and repairs are thought to have been carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries.
It is Grade II listed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: WS 135
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
West Sussex HER 1177 - MWS2176. NMR SU 82 SE 23. PastScape 246837. LBS 412080.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing