Lower Fittleworth South Bridge
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005844
Date first listed: 01-May-1951
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005844 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 23:42:30.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: West Sussex
District: Chichester (District Authority)
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference: TQ 00955 18250
Fittleworth Bridge South, 105m south of Fittleworth Mill.
Reasons for Designation
Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. Stone or brick bridges constructed from the medieval period onwards were built with pointed, semicircular or segmental arches.
The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. The theory and practice of masonry construction for bridges reached a high point in the 18th century. After this time increasing demand led to quicker builds with the adoption of iron bridges and later metal truss and suspension bridges.
Despite some 20th century alterations and repairs, Fittleworth Bridge South survives well with a significant amount of 18th century masonry work.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 29 October 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a 16th century multi-span bridge situated over the River Rother at Lower Fittleworth.
The bridge has three arches constructed of ashlar with a stone parapet and coping. The central arch is round-headed and has been raised above those on each side which are pointed. There are cutwaters between the arches and at each end on the east side. The bridge was partly rebuilt between 1717 and 1739 and the centre arch was raised 1791. It was widened in 1964. A short distance to the north is another multi-span bridge; collectively they are known as Fittleworth Bridge.
It is Grade II listed.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: WS 138
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
West Sussex HER 2330 - MWS3356. NMR TQ01NW27. PastScape 393042. LBS 300514
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing