Reasons for Designation
Disc barrows, the most fragile type of round barrow, are funerary monuments of
the Early Bronze Age, with most examples dating to the period 1400-1200 BC.
They occur either in isolation or in barrow cemeteries (closely-spaced groups
of round barrows). Disc barrows were constructed as a circular or oval area of
level ground defined by a bank and internal ditch and containing one or more
centrally or eccentrically located small, low mounds covering burials, usually
in pits. The burials, normally cremations, are frequently accompanied by
pottery vessels, tools and personal ornaments. It has been suggested that disc
barrows were normally used for the burial of women, although this remains
unproven. However, it is likely that the individuals buried were of high
status. Disc barrows are rare nationally, with about 250 known examples, most
of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods provides
important evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst prehistoric
communities over a wide area of southern England as well as providing an
insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a particularly rare and
fragile form of round barrow, all identified disc barrows would normally be
considered to be of national importance.
The disc barrow known as The Shooting Box survives well and is a good example
of an unusual class of monument; the only one of its kind known to exist in
Shropshire. Though the upper central area of the barrow mound has been
disturbed by past excavation and the construction of the shooting hut, the
lower portion of the mound survives undisturbed and will retain primary
archaeological deposits. The barrow mound and the surrounding bank will also
preserve, sealed beneath them on the old land surface, important environmental
evidence relating to the landscape in which the monument was constructed. The
monument is one of several monuments of similar date on The Long Mynd and, as
such, contributes to the understanding of the intensity of settlement and
nature of land-use occurring in this area of upland during the Bronze Age.
The monument includes the remains of a large disc barrow situated in a saddle
known as 'The Burying Ground' lying below ground rising to the north-east and
south-west. The central mound survives, though considerably disturbed. It is a
circular mound 21m in diameter and up to 2.3m high. The centre and eastern
quarter of the mound have been hollowed out to a depth of 0.8m and a concrete
shooting hut has been constructed in the central excavated area. The damage to
this eastern quarter is depicted on the OS map of 1882 and the cavity was used
for the construction of a grouse shooting hut sometime before 1895. The
current remains of the hut date from a later period when it was enlarged and
refitted. The elevations and floor survive, forming a rectangular yard 4.6m
east to west and 3.5m north to south, the walls standing to 1.2m high with an
entrance in the east side. The barrow mound is positioned centrally within a
surrounding bank which forms a circular enclosure with an overall diameter of
54m. The area internal to the bank is at the same height as the natural ground
level. The enclosing bank itself is between 5m and 6m in width and stands up
to 0.5m high. The enclosure is crossed by a modern trackway running south-west
to north-east cutting through the bank in the north-east and south-east
quarters. Elsewhere the bank is well defined except for some 17m in the
north-eastern quadrant where it is reduced and spread. There is no visible
surface evidence of a ditch from which the material for the construction of
either the mound or the surrounding bank was quarried.
The remains of the concrete shooting hut are excluded from the scheduling
though the ground beneath it is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.