Bowl barrow on Old Field, 620m ESE of Ludlow golf course club house
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007710 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 14:07:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 49503 77513
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite having been disturbed, much of the barrow mound, and particularly the central portion, remains intact. It will retain primary archaeological deposits and environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which the monument was constructed. The barrow is one of several such monuments which occur in this vicinity, and considered in association, they provide information relating to land use, density of settlement, and the burial practices and social organisation of the prehistoric community occupying this area during the Bronze Age.
The monument includes the remains of a small bowl barrow situated on the level
land between the River Teme to the south-west and the River Corve to the
north-east. The barrow mound is visible as a low turf covered mound roughly
circular in shape with a diameter of 7m and standing to a height of 0.5m. It
is believed that the barrow was partially excavated in 1884 when a cremation
burial was revealed. Although not visible at surface level, a ditch, from
which material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds
the mound. This has become infilled over the years but survives as a buried
feature 1m wide.
The modern fence in the northern part of the site is excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Fortey, C, 'TSAS' in , , Vol. VIII, (1885), 445-9
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing