Round barrow 350m south-east of Low Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007852.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 22:40:19.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 96598 58492
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although this barrow has been partially excavated and altered by agricultural activity, below ground remains of the encircling ditch and the contents of unexcavated grave pits will survive intact. It will also contribute to an understanding of the wider group of which it is a member.
The monument includes a Bronze Age round barrow, part of a wider group in this
area of the Yorkshire Wolds. Although altered by agricultural activity and no
longer identifiable as a surface feature, the circular outline of a buried
ditch surrounding the mound is visible on aerial photographs and has an
outside diameter of 26m. Below ground features such as the ditch and burial
pits are thought to survive.
The 19th century antiquarian J R Mortimer partially excavated the barrow mound
in September 1872. A central grave four feet deep was found to contain the
crouched skeletons of a woman and also a man accompanied by two flint knives
and a jet stud. Several other bodies were also found; those of an old person,
a young woman accompanied by a bronze awl, and another crouched adult
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 216-8
4331, Dent, J,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing