Round barrow 700m south of Low Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007855
Date first listed: 12-Jan-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007855 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 13:49:29.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SE 96554 58039
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Although the barrow has been partially excavated and altered by agricultural activity, below ground remains of the encircling ditch and grave pits will survive. It will also contribute to an understanding of the wider group of which it is a member.
The monument is a Bronze Age round barrow, part of a wider group in this area
of the Yorkshire Wolds. Although the barrow has been levelled by ploughing its
enclosing circular ditch, excavated during the construction of the monument,
is clearly visible on aerial photographs. The ditch has become in-filled, but
survives as a buried feature 40m in diameter.
The 19th century antiquarian J R Mortimer partially excavated the barrow mound
He found a central grave which contained the skeleton of an adolescent
accompanied by a flint knife, quartz pebbles, a deposit of ochre, and a small
food vessel. The skeleton's lower jaw had been removed and replaced by the
pot. A secondary crouched burial and various human and animal bones scattered
throughout the mound were found.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21215
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 229-30
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing