Four bowl barrows 30m south-east of Tilford Barrows: part of The Barrows round barrow cemetery

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1007883

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Four bowl barrows 30m south-east of Tilford Barrows: part of The Barrows round barrow cemetery
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 22:39:43.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Tilford

National Grid Reference: SU 88920 44302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them, contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving or partly-surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Two of the four bowl barrows 30m south-east of Tilford Barrows survive comparatively well and contain archaeological remains and environmental information relating to both the monument and the landscape in which they were constructed. The two other barrows, although only partially preserved, are an integral part of the round barrow cemetery and are essential to the understanding of the monument which, as a whole, gives an insight into the nature and scale of human population in the area during the Bronze Age period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes four bowl barrows aligned NNE-SSW and situated on a gentle south-facing slope above a steep scarp in the Lower Greensand. These barrows are part of a linear round barrow cemetery, made up of five bowl barrows, of which three survive as earthworks and two as buried features. The northern of the four barrows comprises below ground remains which include a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the mound. This has since become infilled but survives as a buried feature c.1.5m wide defining a barrow with an overall external diameter of c.15m. Central pits or deposits are also likely to be preserved below the surface. To the south are the two central barrows of the group, both of which survive as upstanding earthworks. The northern of these comprises a central mound 12m in diameter and 0.5m high, surrounded by a ditch which survives as a buried feature c.1.5m wide. The southern barrow of this central pair survives as a mound 10m wide and 0.5m high with a surrounding quarry ditch existing as a buried feature c.1.5m wide. The most southerly of the group of four barrows comprises below ground remains which include a surrounding ditch which has become infilled, and survives as a buried feature c.1.5m wide and defines an overall area of c.15m across. The cemetery was partially excavated in 1870 by Reverend Charles Kerry, a local antiquarian. He excavated three of the five barrows. Few details are known and only a flint flake is recorded. Neither of the two upstanding barrows were excavated as Kerry believed that they had already suffered some disturbance.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20174

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal, (1987), 36-37
Grinsell, L V, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal, (1987), 36-37
Other
Reverend C Kerry , Original Notes of Charles Kerry, (1870)

End of official listing