Bowl barrow 50m SSE of Tilford Barrows: part of The Barrows round barrow cemetery
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007884.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 02:23:13.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Waverley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 88872 44259
Reasons for Designation
Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise
closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds
covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a
considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as
a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit
considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including
several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier
long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them,
contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been
revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a
marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other
important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent
locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst
their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving or partly-surviving examples are
considered worthy of protection.
Despite partial excavation, the bowl barrow 50m SSE of Tilford Barrows survives comparatively well and contains archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument, the barrow cemetery, and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a gentle south-facing slope
above a steep scarp in the Lower Greensand. It is one of a group of five bowl
barrows forming a linear round barrow cemetery aligned NNE-SSW. This barrow
survives as a mound 14m in diameter and 0.7m high surrounded by a ditch from
which material was quarried during the construction of the monument. This is
no longer visible at ground level having become infilled over the years but
survives as a buried feature c.1.5m wide.
The barrow is one of three within the cemetery which were partially excavated
in 1870 by Reverend Charles Kerry, a local antiquarian. Few details are known
and only a flint flake is thought to have been found.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Surrey Barrows 1934-1987: A Reappraisal, , Vol. 79, (1987), 36-37
Reverend C Kerry , Original Notes of Charles Kerry, (1870)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing