Round barrow cemetery south-east of East Lulworth 550m north-east of Monastery Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1008028
Date first listed: 14-Nov-1962
Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008028 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 07:26:50.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Purbeck (District Authority)
Parish: East Lulworth
National Grid Reference: SY 86368 81460
Reasons for Designation
Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise
closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds
covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a
considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as
a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit
considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including
several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier
long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them,
contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been
revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a
marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other
important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent
locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst
their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving or partly-surviving examples are
considered worthy of protection.
Despite some excavation the round barrow cemetery south-east of East Lulworth has survived well and contains archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed. These barrows are amongst a number which survive on this piece of heathland between the River Frome and the Dorset coast. The cemetery is of interest in that it contains both bowl barrows and an example of the less common pond barrow.
The monument includes a linear round barrow cemetery aligned east-west and
lying on lowland heath close to the Dorset coast.
The monument includes five barrows, four of which are bowl barrows and one a
pond barrow. The pond barrow is the second most westerly of the group.
The pond barrow survives as a shallow depression 15.2m in diameter. The bowl
barrows appear as upstanding earthworks with mounds ranging between 0.5m and
2m high and between 17m and 20m across.
Each of the bowl barrow mounds was surrounded by a ditch from which material
was quarried during their construction. Some of these survive as slight
depressions, and some can no longer be seen at ground level, having become
infilled over the years; these survive as buried features. All are c.4m wide.
One of these barrows was opened in 1790 and contained a cremation burial in a
Late Bronze Age urn. The bowl barrows may also have been opened between 1825
and 1832 by J F Pennie.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21937
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , County of Dorset , (1970), 445
Warne, C, Celtic Tumuli of Dorset, (1886)
Warne, C, Celtic Tumuli of Dorset, (1886)
'Gentlemans Magazene' in Gentlemans Magazene, (1790), 897-901
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing