Bowl barrow 30m south of Round Copse
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1008305
Date first listed: 19-Jan-1968
Date of most recent amendment: 04-Mar-1994
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008305 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 21:00:52.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SZ 44700 87310
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation in 1827 and 1854, the bowl barrow south of Round Copse survives well and will contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the barrow and the landscape in which it was constructed. This barrow is an isolated example standing apart from the group of barrows on Newbarn Down to the south.
The monument includes a bowl barrow set on the crest of a hill in an
undulating downland setting. To the west the land falls away steeply to a
The barrow has a mound which measures 20m east-west and 19m north-south and is
c.1.5m high. Surrounding the mound is a ditch from which material was quarried
during its construction. This has become infilled over the years and can no
longer be seen at ground level, but survives as a buried feature c.4m wide.
The mound was partially excavated by J Denett in 1827 when a cremation was
found, and reopened by Hillier in 1854 but no further finds were made.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 22003
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Dennett, J, 'Journal of the British Archaeological Association' in Journal of the British Archaeological Association Winchester, (1845), 155-6
Hillier, , 'Journal of the British Archaeological Association' in Journal of the British Archaeological Association Winchester, , Vol. XI, (), 35
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing