Great Loyes moated site and fishpond

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1008979

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Great Loyes moated site and fishpond
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:07:48.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Terling

National Grid Reference: TL 77420 15896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Great Loyes is well preserved and will retain valuable archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site and the character of the original buildings here. The site has the additional unusual feature of a well preserved, internal fishpond. The water-filled ditches will retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument at Great Loyes includes a moated site with an internal fishpond situated in the Brain River valley, 1km north of Terling parish church. The moated site is quadrilateral in shape and measures a maximum of 85m NE-SW by a maximum of 97m NW-SE. The arms are between 8m and 10m in width and are all water-filled by a spring. The southern arm and southern parts of the east and west arms have been revetted in brick during the Victorian period. A causeway, 25m wide, gives access to the island across the south west arm and is considered to be the original entrance onto the island. Another causeway, about 6m wide, across the north eastern arm is considered to be more recent in date. A modern footbridge, constructed of wood, crosses the south eastern arm. The island is occupied by a 17th century house with later additions which is Listed Grade II. Some of the timbers in the house are reused smoke blackened rafters from a medieval hall which may have been the previous house on the site. Two modern outbuildings and a greenhouse are also situated on the island to the north of the house. A small internal fishpond, which measures 15m NW-SE by 13m NE-SW and is also water-filled, occupies the island. It is joined to the north western moat arm by a small channel, 3m wide. The site is that associated with John `Loy' in 1344. The house, outbuildings, garden wall, greenhouse, driveway and footbridge are all excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20756

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935), 298

End of official listing