Two stone hut circles 1.15km WSW of East Castick Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010415 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:33:52.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- North Hill
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 25393 76057
Reasons for Designation
Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been
recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The
Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the
best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of
prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human
exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The
well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field
systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains
provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land
use through time. Stone hut circles were the dwelling places of prehistoric
farmers on the Moor, mostly dating from the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). The
stone-based round houses survive as low walls or banks enclosing a circular
floor area; remains of a turf or thatch roof are not preserved. The huts occur
singly or in small or large groups and may occur in the open or be enclosed by
a bank of earth and stone. Although they are common on the Moor, their
longevity of use and their relationship with other monument types provides
important information on the diversity of social organisation and farming
practices among prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative
of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are
considered worthy of protection.
These hut circles on Hawk's Tor have survived well. The accumulation of deposits against their uphill sides will preserve buried land surfaces and environmental evidence contemporary with, and subsequent to, their construction and use. Their proximity to other broadly contemporary settlement sites, enclosures, field systems and cairns demonstrates well the nature of farming practices and the organisation of land use during the Bronze Age.
The monument includes two stone hut circles situated on the lower SE flank of
Hawk's Tor on eastern Bodmin Moor, near other broadly contemporary hut circle
settlements, enclosures, field systems and cairns.
The hut circles are centred 8m apart on a NE-SW axis. Each has a marked
accumulation of deposits washed down the hillslope against its uphill, NW,
side. The hut circle to the SW survives with a wall of heaped rubble, up to
0.5m high and 1.5m wide, faced internally by occasional edge-set slabs. The
wall defines a circular internal area, 6m in diameter, levelled into the
hillslope. The hut circle to the NE is similarly constructed but without
inner facing slabs, its heaped rubble wall rising 0.4m high and 1m wide,
around a circular, levelled, internal area 4.5m in diameter. The wall has an
entrance gap facing NE. These hut circles are outlying members of a
dispersed, unenclosed settlement containing at least 23 hut circles, whose
main concentration is centred 115m east of this monument.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
King, G, Sheppard, P, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parochial Checklist of Antiquities 10: Parish of North Hill, , Vol. 18, (1979)
consulted 10/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2576,
consulted 10/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1178,
consulted 10/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1178.01,
consulted 10/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1178.02,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1014,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1190,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing