Moor Lane moated site, Whissendine
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010698 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 01:47:42.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rutland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 83885 15126
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The monument at Whissendine comprises a substantial manorial site, with an outer bank at some distance from the moat, an unusual feature in Leicestershire moated sites. The island will hold evidence of the organisation and development of the manorial buildings referred to in 14th century documents.
The moated site at Whissendine lies to the west of a trackway known as Moor
Lane, or Teigh Lane, 1km north-east of the village. It is recorded as one of
two moats originally linked together but the smaller moat to the south cannot
be identified with certainty.
The monument comprises a large rectangular moat measuring 125 x 135m, most of
which is dry, with the exception of the south-east corner, and measures 20m
wide and between 2-2.5m deep. The island's surface is uneven, marking the
location of stone foundations of the manor house. The moat is surrounded by
an outer bank, with a channel running south, possibly linking with the second
recorded moat. Surrounding the site is a low outer bank less than 1m high, at
a distance of some 25-35m from the main moated site. This bank is broken on
the eastern side by an entrance near to the road.
The site is believed to be the manor of Moorhall referred to in documents from
1306. The Moor Hall estate of Richard de Haryngton passed to the Earl of
Richmond in the reign of Edward II.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hartley, R F, The Medieval Earthworks of Rutland, (1983), 47
'The Rutland Magazine' in The Rutland Magazine (Volume IV), , Vol. IV, (1909), 5
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing