Pain's End moated site.
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010749.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 02:47:52.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 40334 33447
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Pain's End moated site is in good condition and is constantly waterlogged giving it high potential for the preservation of organic deposits. The monument is one of a group of three moats in the village of Anstey.
This monument is a single island moat situated to the north-east of Anstey.
It is one of a group of three in the village. It is a permanently waterfilled
moat, measuring about 60m east- west by 35m north-south, and has one causeway
on the south side which is 7m wide.
The arms measure between 7m to 10m in width and up to 12m in depth. The north-west corner of the moat is wider by about 2.5m and forms a slight bulge. There are two modern drains leading into the southern arm of the moat which are excluded from the scheduling. The island, which measures about 40m by 20m, is at the same level as the surrounding ground. It is considered to have been used either as a garden or orchard. Around the village of Anstey there are two other moats, both at Hale Farm, east of the village.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing