Moated site at New Hall, Thurlaston
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010914 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 10:49:46.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Blaby (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 50709 00363
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Thurlaston survives in good condition and retains considerable potential for survival of the remains of the original buildings of the interior.
The monument at Thurlaston is situated 1km north of the village, on the edge
of the medieval Leicester Forest.
The moated site is square, measuring 90m x 90m in overall dimensions, with a
ditch about 12m wide which is water-filled. It has a stone and brick built
bridge on the south-west side and a causeway on the west. There is some
evidence that the inner moat bank has been recently strengthened with large
stones on the northern arm.
The site is well documented from the 14th century onwards and was the mansion
of the Turvilles.
An abandoned standing house in the south-west corner of the island dating from
the 1940's is not included in the scheduling, but the ground beneath it is
included. A fishpond on the eastern side which has been significantly altered
is not included in the scheduling.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Farnham, G., Medieval Village Notes, 1935,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing