This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Wincelow Hall moated site

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Wincelow Hall moated site

List entry Number: 1011464

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hempstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 21-Sep-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20716

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Wincelow Hall survives relatively well and will retain archaeological information pertaining to its occupation and development. The waterfilled ditches will also contain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Wincelow Hall moated site is situated on high ground 500m north-west of Hempstead Church. The monument includes a square-shaped moat, which measures 94m square and is orientated NE-SW, and an adjoining pond. The arms of the moat are all waterfilled and measure between 9m and 12m in width. There are two causeways which give access to the island; one is situated on the northern arm, is 3m wide and is considered to be the original entrance to the site. The other is situated on the western arm, is 6m wide and is currently used as the main entrance. The present house dates from the late 19th century and is a Grade II Listed Building. The previous house was demolished in 1886 and the foundations and drainage system of that house were discovered during the recent renovation of the present house. A pond situated 7m south-east of the moat joins it through a small leat, 2m wide. The pond is seasonally waterfilled, and measures 21m NW-SE by a maximum of 8m NE-SW. The monument is that associated with the family of John Wynselowe in the late 13th century and in 1630 was the home of William Harvey, who discovered the circulation of the blood. The house, garage and septic tank are all excluded from the scheduling, though the ground beneath the house and garage is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)

National Grid Reference: TL 62955 38377

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 10:59:06.

End of official listing