Round barrow 100m SW of Cobdale Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011895 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:47:21.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 85403 53149
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite partial excavation and limited plough damage this barrow survives reasonably well. It will retain significant information on its original form and on the manner and duration of its usage.
The monument includes a Prehistoric round barrow, one of a number of similar
monuments in this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. The barrow mound is 1m high
and has a diameter of 25m. Although no longer visible at ground level, a
ditch, from which material was excavated during the construction of the
monument, surrounds the barrow mound. This has become in-filled over the
years but survives as a buried feature 4m wide. The barrow mound was twice
investigated by antiquarians in the nineteenth century. James Silburn put two
east-west trenches across the mound and in 1882 J R Mortimer carried out a
further excavation. During this latter excavation, Mortimer found the remains
of two inhumations, thirteen potsherds, numerous worked flint flakes, and an
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 319-320
'Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society' in Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society: Volume 3, , Vol. 3, (1937), 210
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing