This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Prehistoric cairn 675m SE of Trewalla Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Prehistoric cairn 675m SE of Trewalla Farm

List entry Number: 1011996

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Cleer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Dec-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15171

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. Round cairns are funerary monuments covering single or multiple burials and dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as mounds of earth and stone rubble up to 40m in external diameter but usually considerably smaller; a kerb of edge-set stones sometimes bounds the edges of the mound. Burials were placed in small pits, or on occasion within a box-like structure of stone slabs called a cist, let into the old ground surface or dug into the body of the cairn. Round cairns can occur as isolated monuments, in small groups or in larger cemeteries. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provides important information on the diversity of beliefs, burial practices and social organisation in the Bronze Age. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of preservation.

This elongated cairn on southern Craddock Moor has survived reasonably well, despite the limited actions of stone robbers and the ruts which cross the mound. This cairn is of unusual shape and will retain many of its original features including burial deposits. Its proximity to other broadly contemporary settlement and funerary sites and to a medieval field system demonstrates well the nature of land use during the Prehistoric period and its subsequent development.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes an elongated Prehistoric funerary cairn, situated near other broadly contemporary cairns and hut circles and amid an area of medieval cultivation ridges, on the western slope of the southern spur of Craddock Moor on SE Bodmin Moor. The cairn is visible as a large, slender, sub-triangular mound of heaped rubble, rising up to 0.7m high and measuring 16.3m NW-SE by 6.75m maximum in width near its SE end. The mound tapers to 2m wide at its NW end and incorporates slabs up to 1m long among its largely turf-covered rubble content. Some relatively recent stone-robbing has produced shallow hollowing in its upper surface towards its SE end and two narrow ruts cross the NW half of the mound. The ruts are also turf-covered and reflect an early diversion from the disused hollowed routeway to Trewalla Farm that passes immediately beyond the SE end of the cairn. Beyond this monument, a broadly contemporary stone hut circle is situated 25m to the NW and another cairn is located 58m to the WNW.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Consulted 1/1992, Carter, A/RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2570,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1443,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1443.01,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1446,
consulted 1/1992, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1446.01,
Consulted 1/1992, Quinnell, N V/RCHME, 1:2500 Supplementary Field Trace for SX 2570,
Consulted 7/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcriptions for SX 2470 & SX 2471,

National Grid Reference: SX 25141 70631

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011996 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 11:53:49.

End of official listing