This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Great Lodge moated site, Higham Park

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Great Lodge moated site, Higham Park

List entry Number: 1012327

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton Bromswold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 28-Apr-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jun-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13646

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Great Lodge moated site has well documented associations with the medieval deer park extending back to the 14th century. The moated site is essentially undamaged and retains considerable archaeological potential for the recovery of evidence of building foundations within the interior.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Great Lodge moat is located on the edge of the medieval deer park of Higham Park, close to the park entrance, and to the south east of the nearby village of Higham Park. The rectangular moated site covers an area measuring approximately 90m x 130m and is surrounded on three sides by ditches up to 2m wide and 8m deep. Originally the ditches were deeper and on the north east side the ditch is filled in. There are traces of a slight inner bank on north west, south west and south east sides of the moat island and remains of a larger outer bank on the north east side. A causeway crosses the north west arm to the moat island, where a small rectangular platform indicates the location of a former building. The moat island is known to be the site of the keeper's Great Lodge, which was first recorded in 1327, but is considered to have been built before this date and repairs to it are recorded from 1391 onwards. In the 15th century a hall, chapel, chamber, kitchen, brewhouse and bakehouse were recorded on the site. The remains of two fishponds, now much altered, can still be seen to the north-west of the moated site but they are not included in the scheduling. The buildings on the moat island are known to have been demolished when the present farm north-west of the moat was built in the 17th century. Made up roadways are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , Archaeological Sites in North East Northamptonshire , (1975), 69-70

National Grid Reference: SP 98221 64192

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 08:40:41.

End of official listing