Bell barrow 700m west of Upper Farm, Grafton
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012437 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 11:58:53.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 26440 59055
Reasons for Designation
Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary
monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples
belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in
round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds
covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The
burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery
and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows
(particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known
examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods
provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early
prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as
providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a
particularly rare form of round barrow, all identified bell barrows would
normally be considered to be of national importance.
The Upper Farm barrow is important as it survives comparatively well under permanent grassland and despite some disturbance has potential for the recovery of archaeological remains. The significance of the site is enhanced by the fact that numerous other barrow mounds and evidence for contemporary settlement survive in the area. These give an indication of the intensity with which the downs were occupied during the Bronze Age period.
The monument includes a bell barrow set below the crest of a gentle west-
facing slope in an area of undulating chalk downland. The barrow mound
stands to a height of 3m and is 26m in diameter. Surrounding the barrow
mound is a raised berm 4m wide surrounded by a steep drop to ground level,
possibly representing the area from which material was quarried during
construction of the monument. A central depression c.10m across and 1.4m
deep on the barrow mound suggests the site was once partially excavated,
probably in the 19th century.
The mound and berm together have a diameter of 34m.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing