This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Kimberworth Manor moated site

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Kimberworth Manor moated site

List entry Number: 1013045

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 15-Oct-1980

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jun-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13225

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Kimberworth moated site was the centre of an important medieval manor whose historical context is well-documented. Also notable is its close association with the earlier manor site at Kimberworth motte and bailey castle. Partial excavation of the site has established the survival in situ of substantial medieval manorial remains. Extensive areas remain unexcavated, however, and the archaeological potential of the site, despite some disturbance due to later building, is considerable.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument comprises the moated site of Kimberworth Manor. It includes a complex of medieval stone buildings, located around the present building by partial excavations undertaken between 1975 and 1980 by Rotherham Archaeo- logical Society, and also the moat which formerly surrounded this complex. The present house, which is a Grade II Listed Building and is excluded from this scheduling, is basically seventeenth century but includes some medieval remains. One of the buildings located in the immediate vicinity of this building was an aisled hall. Other building remains are interpreted as an earlier manor house. To the north-west of the present house, the remains of a medieval building are still evident incorporated into a boundary wall. The infilled moat was identified as running parallel with the modern boundary. In the Middle Ages the manor was part of the Honour of Tickhill and, after the Norman Conquest, was held by Roger de Busli whose descendents retained it until the mid or late thirteenth century. Some time before this, de Busli's family abandoned the original motte and bailey castle at Kimberworth for the site of the present Kimberworth manor, 250m downslope to the south. From c.1300 the site was the principal residence of Idonea de Vipont. A large deerpark was once associated with the site but is now obscured by later development. All buildings, modern features, modern walls, hedging and surfaces of paths, driveway and car-park are excluded from the scheduling. The ground underneath, however, is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Addy, S O, The Hall of Waltheof, (1893), 183
Guest, J, Historical Notices of Rotherham, (1879), 586
Hunter, J, South Yorkshire , (1831), 26-28

National Grid Reference: SK 40546 93251

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 05:11:45.

End of official listing