Bell barrow north-west of Brooms Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013047 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:15:08.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Sussex
- Chichester (District Authority)
- West Dean
- National Park:
- SOUTH DOWNS
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 82815 15935
Reasons for Designation
Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary
monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples
belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in
round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds
covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The
burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery
and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows
(particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known
examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods
provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early
prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as
providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a
particularly rare form of round barrow, all identified bell barrows would
normally be considered to be of national importance.
Despite partial excavation of the Brooms Farm bell barrow, it survives comparatively well and has potential for the recovery of archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bell barrow situated on a chalk ridge running south
from Treyford Hill. The barrow mound is 16m in diameter and stands to a
height of c.2m. A hollow in the centre of the mound suggests that it was once
partially excavated. Around the mound is a berm or sloping platform, which
separates the mound from the enclosing ditch and varies between c.2m and 4m
in width. To the north, east and west, the ditch, from which material was
quarried during the construction of the monument, has become infilled and is
no longer visible; to the south however it remains as a slight earthwork
feature c.3m wide and 0.2m deep. Beyond the ditch to the south are the
probable remains of an external bank 1m wide and 0.1m high.
Excluded from the scheduling are a number of breeze blocks dumped onto the
surface of the mound. The ground beneath them, however, is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Title: West Sussex SMR Ordnance Survey SU81NW32 Source Date: 1970 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing