Medieval moated site, Court Lodge Farm.

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013151

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jul-1990

Map

Ordnance survey map of Medieval moated site, Court Lodge Farm.
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 10:53:46.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Brook

National Grid Reference: TR 06650 44184

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Several factors lend particular importance to the moated site at Court Lodge Farm. Although only a part of the original site remains intact, there is still a substantial area within which both wet and dry archaeological remains are thought to survive, making the site of considerable potential. The moated site is situated beside an early post-Conquest church with which it must have been linked, and predates the fine hall-house and contemporary barn, both of 14th/ 15th century date, on the same site. The recorded link with Christ's Church, Canterbury, is of additional interest as it places the site within a much broader historical framework which is likely to be well-documented.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The site comprises one complete length and two partial return lengths of a broad, generally dry moat enclosing a raised island some 60m by 40m. The moat may have been square in plan originally; the north-west arm of the moat appears to have been infilled and the north-west side of the moat island has been lowered by 0.7m. A hall-house of C15th or earlier date stands on this NW side of the island, but this house replaced the original buildings around which the moat had been dug. Moated sites are generally seen as the prestigious residences of Lords of the Manor. The moat served not only to mark the high status of the occupier but also to deter casual raiders and wild animals. The farm belonged to Christ's Church, Canterbury, from the 11th century, and was rented by Robert de Romene (Romney) in 1087 according to monastic records. Henry of Eastry was responsible for the construction of the moat and its buildings, at a cost of eighty pounds, between 1289 and 1316. No evidence survives above ground of the buildings on the original moat island, but the date of the upstanding house suggests that they may have been short-lived. The present building, outside but adjacent to the scheduled area, is listed grade II*.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 12716

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Garland, C W A, 'Wye Historical Journal' in Court Lodge, Brook, ()
Other
Chant, K, AM107, (1983)
Listed Buildings Vol 1414 4/59,

End of official listing