This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Barbury Castle Farm deserted Medieval village

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Barbury Castle Farm deserted Medieval village

List entry Number: 1013415

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ogbourne St. Andrew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 05-Jan-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 11510

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The village was a significant component of the rural landscape of Medieval England. Those which were deserted during the Middle Ages have consequently been undisturbed by later occupation and provide an important source of information on Medieval demography, subsistence and settlement patterns. The Barbury Castle Farm village is an exceptionally well-preserved example of its type and its unusual elevated downland situation makes it particularly rare and important. Its significance is enhanced by its proximity to Barbury Castle hillfort and Romano-British occupation deposits which provide evidence for the changing nature of land-use through time.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the sites of a deserted Medieval village together with traces of Romano-British occupation. The Medieval village earthworks include well-preserved and extensive building platforms, hollow ways and associated enclosures and plots. The earthworks are sharply defined and survive up to 1.5m in height. Limited excavation and stray finds have shown that the village was occupied in the 12th and 13th centuries AD. Traces of earlier Romano-British settlement underlying the Medieval village have been located during excavation and from metal-detecting. These indicate the presence of occupation of the 3rd and 4th centuries AD in close proximity to the earthworks.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crawford, O G S, Keiller. A, , Wessex from the Air, (1928)
Grinsell, LV, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume V, (1957)
Other
Pattison, P., Excavations at Barbury Castle Farm 1983: Interim Report, Pagination 198

National Grid Reference: SU 15157 75813

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 01:24:13.

End of official listing