Two bowl barrows 300m south east of Blanch Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013458

Date first listed: 27-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Nov-1995

Map

Ordnance survey map of Two bowl barrows 300m south east of Blanch Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 12:01:29.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Warter

National Grid Reference: SE 89896 53109

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although these barrows have been partially excavated and altered by agricultural activity they survive reasonably well. Further evidence of the structure of the mounds, the surrounding ditches and burials will survive. They will also contibute to an understanding of the wider group of which they are members.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two Bronze Age bowl barrows, members of a group of similar monuments in this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. Each barrow is visible as a low earthen mound, each surrounded by a 4m wide ditch from which material was excavated during the construction of the mound. In both cases this ditch has become infilled over the years, but is visible as a dark soil mark. The southern of the two mounds is 1m high and has a diameter of 47m, while the other, northern, mound is also 1m high and has a diameter of 43m. Both barrows were investigated in 1883 by the antiquarian J R Mortimer, but in both cases he found that another antiquarian, James Silburn, had already opened the barrows in 1851 and disturbed the central graves, removing the burials.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 21102

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J , Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905)

End of official listing