This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Pair of bowl barrows on Windover Hill, 170m south of The Long Man

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Pair of bowl barrows on Windover Hill, 170m south of The Long Man

List entry Number: 1014629

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Long Man

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 27-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jul-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The pair of bowl barrows on Windover Hill survive particularly well and part excavation has shown that they will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the period in which they were constructed and used. The Windover Hill to Folkington Hill ridge supports a wide range of funerary monuments, and two flint mines, dating to the Neolithic period and the Bronze Age. The close association of these monuments illustrates the importance of the area for burial practices and the extraction of material for implement manufacture, and provides evidence for the relationship between these types of activity, during the prehistoric period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a pair of south west-north east aligned bowl barrows situated on the summit of Windover Hill, which forms part of the Sussex Downs. The larger barrow of the two lies to the south west and has a circular mound c.29m in diameter and up to 2.5m high. Two hollows in the centre provide visible evidence of the barrow's part excavation in 1833. Finds discovered during the excavation included several cremation urns dating to the Bronze Age and a flint scraper. Surrounding the mound is a ditch from which material used to construct the barrow was extracted. This has become partly infilled over the years, but survives as a depression c.3m wide and up to 0.5m deep. The smaller barrow lies around 27m to the north east and has a mound c.13m in diameter and up to c.1m high, with a slight central hollow indicating part excavation some time in the past. The mound is surrounded by an infilled quarry ditch clearly visible as a dark patch of vegetation c.3m wide.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
source 2, RCHME, TQ 50 SW 34, (1934)

National Grid Reference: TQ 54235 03272

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1014629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 02:45:26.

End of official listing