This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated monastic grange 300m south west of Winsetts Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated monastic grange 300m south west of Winsetts Farm

List entry Number: 1015309

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Skeffling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 26609

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site south west of Winsetts Farm, is an example of a large rectangular moat, and one of the few of its kind surviving this far east in East Yorkshire, so close to the coastline. There is also historical evidence that it once formed part of a monastic grange. A monastic grange was a farm owned and run by a monastic community and independent of the secular manorial system of communal agriculture and servile labour whose function was to provide food and raw materials for consumption within the parent monastic house itself. Although several thousand such sites are originally believed to have existed, only a small percentage can be accurately located on the ground today and given the continued intensive use of agricultural land across time, many of these survive poorly, or have been destroyed. In view of the importance of granges to medieval rural and monastic life, all sites exhibiting good archaeological survival are identified as nationally important. Although partly modified the monument will retain evidence of the structures which originally occupied it. The moat arms remain unexcavated and will thus retain environmental evidence from the original fills relating to the period of the monument's construction. The monument is one of a number of moated sites in East Yorkshire, representing a typical form of settlement of low-lying and flood plain land in the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a large rectangular moated monastic grange 300m south west of Winsetts Farm. The monument measures 190m north-south by 100m east-west. It was formerly one of a pair of moated sites, with a smaller moat situated near the modern farm house further to the north. This moat is now largely destroyed. The two moats were connected by a north-south feeder dyke which has since been converted into a modern field drain. The monument survives well on its eastern and southern sides, where the broad `U' shaped moat ditches survive between 8m and 10m wide across their tops, 4m-5m across their bases and 1.25m deep. The remains of a low interior bank survives on the eastern side of the northern moat arm. The western moat arm has been modified to form a modern field drain and the western half of the northern arm has been infilled. The remains of a building platform survives towards the centre of the moated island, together with what is thought to be an access leading from an entrance on the east side of the site. Building debris, including large cobbles, medieval tiles and red brick from the building which occupied the moat island are found scattered across the central island area and along the edges of the eastern moat arm. A fishpond in the north west corner of the moat, dating from the same period as the building, survives as a buried feature. This moated site and the smaller moat near the modern farm house to the north formed a grange of Thornton Abbey. Thornton Abbey held land in Skeffling by 1190, when the gift of a `bovate' was made by one Ingram de Mariners. Later, the gift of half a bovate and a toft was confirmed in 1301 by Stephen de Plesingham and the Abbey had a grant of free warren at Winsetts the same year. Post and wire fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Le Patourel, H.E J, 'Monograph Series No 5' in The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973), 117
Le Patourel, H.E J, 'Monograph Series No 5' in The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973), 117
Other
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Record Sheet, (1996)

National Grid Reference: TA 38060 18037

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015309 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 09:44:07.

End of official listing