Two round barrows 600m NNE of the north east corner of North Ings Plantation

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1015406
Date first listed:
20-Mar-1997

Map

Ordnance survey map of Two round barrows 600m NNE of the north east corner of North Ings Plantation
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 07:30:51.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Commondale
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
NZ 64597 12171

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite limited disturbance, these barrows have survived well. Significant information about the original form of the barrows and the burials placed within them will be preserved. Evidence of earlier land use will also survive beneath the barrow mounds. The barrows are part of a wider group of monuments in the area. Similar groups of monuments are also known across the west and central areas of the North York Moors, providing important insight into burial practice. Such groupings of monuments offer important scope for the study of the division of land for social and ritual purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.

Details

The monument includes two round barrows situated on the west flank of Skelderskew Moor in the northern part of the North York Moors. The barrows lie close together, one being 20m north east of the other. Both of the barrows have an earth and stone mound and each was originally surrounded by a kerb of stones which defined the barrow and supported the mound. However, over the years some of the stones have been taken away or been buried by soil slipping off the mounds. The south western barrow stands 0.7m high and is 6m in diameter. There are kerb stones visible on the south east side of the mound. The north eastern barrow mound is 6m in diameter and stands 0.75m high. In the centre of both mounds is a hollow dug when the mound was excavated in the past. The barrows lie in an area rich in prehistoric monuments, including further barrows, field systems and clearance cairns.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
28288
Legacy System:
RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Elgee, F, Early Man in NE Yorkshire, (1930), 148
Elgee, F, Early Man in NE Yorkshire, (1930), 148
Spratt, D A , 'Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology in North East Yorkshire' in Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology of North East Yorkshire, , Vol. BAR 104, (1993), 91-116

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].