Two bowl barrows on Stanghow High Moor
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1015437
Date first listed: 06-Nov-1970
Date of most recent amendment: 07-Apr-1997
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015437 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 00:45:38.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference: NZ 65114 12722
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite limited disturbance these barrows have survived well. Significant information about the original form of the barrows and the burials placed within them will be preserved. Evidence of earlier land use will also survive beneath the barrow mounds. Together with other barrows in the area they are thought to also represent a territorial marker. Similar groups of monuments are known across the west and central areas of the North York Moors, providing important insight into burial practice. Such groupings of monuments offer important scope for the study of the division of land for social and ritual purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.
The monument includes two bowl barrows situated on the north edge of the North
The barrows lie close together, one being 30m to the north of the other. Both
of the barrows have an earth and stone mound and each was originally
surrounded by a kerb of stones which defined the barrow and supported the
mound. However over the years some of the stones have been removed or buried
by soil slipping off the mounds. The south barrow mound is low and flat
topped, stands 0.3m high and is 10m in diameter. There are no kerb stones
visible around this mound. There is a hollow dug into the centre of the mound
resulting from investigations in the past.
The north barrow mound has a flat top, is 16m in diameter and stands 1.4m
high. There are kerb stones visible on the north and west sides up to 1m in
length. The mound was partly excavated in 1863 by J C Atkinson who discovered
an urn containing a cremation burial.
The barrows lie in area rich in prehistoric monuments including further
barrows, field systems and clearance cairns.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 28276
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Elgee, F, Early Man in NE Yorkshire, (1930), 148
Spratt, D A , 'Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology in North East Yorkshire' in Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology of North East Yorkshire, , Vol. BAR 104, (1993), 91-116
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing