This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Brightley Barton moated site

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Brightley Barton moated site

List entry Number: 1016230

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chittlehampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Feb-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30307

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Brightly Barton moated site survives well and contains archaeological information relating to its construction and occupation. Moated sites are relatively rare in Devon and this is one of the best preserved examples. Its stone walling is a particularly unusual feature.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a rectangular moated site situated on a high ridge overlooking the valley of the River Taw. The monument survives as a three- sided, stone-faced moat with the fourth side surviving as a buried feature, defining an internal area now preserved within a garden. The southern ditch of the moat measures 37m long, 4m wide and is 0.7m to 1.1m deep; the western ditch is 52.2m long, 4.1m wide and is 0.8m to 1.4m deep; and the northern ditch 38.7m long, from 3.6m to 3.8m wide and 0.3m to 1m deep. All three sides are faced with drystone walling, the heights of the walls reflecting the depth of the moat. The walls are well built with strong quoins especially on the internal corners. Around the outside of the ditch is a surrounding bank. In the south west corner, where the external facing of the outer wall of the moat is visible, it measures 2.3m long, 0.9m wide and is 0.6m high. The outer bank on the southern side is 2.6m to 4.7m wide and up to 2m high, on the western side it is up to 4.3m wide and 2.3m high, with a tarmac road lying directly adjacent to the west, and to the north it is up to 3.6m wide and 2.1m high with a rear vehicular farm track lying directly to the north. The eastern side of the moat is preserved as a buried feature. In this area there is a slight lyncheted earthwork running from north to south which measures 3m wide and 0.4m high and is partly overlain by the yards connected to the present farm buildings which were built in the 16th century. The area enclosed by the moat shows some slight surface undulations, although these may be due to horticultural practice since this area has been a long established garden. However, the interior does survive as a raised platform, and retains old surfaces and structures as buried features. A bank survives around the outside of this enclosed area which measures up to 3m wide and 0.6m high. The moat retains water, especially in the winter months, when the standing water may be reasonably deep. The site belonged to the Fitzwarrens in about 1190. By the 1500s it was owned by the Giffords who built the present moat. The retaining walls to the north, west and south of the moat are Listed Grade II*.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, SS62SW36, (1995)

National Grid Reference: SS 61273 22701

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 09:43:34.

End of official listing