Bowl barrow 850m north west of North Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1016381
Date first listed: 07-May-1957
Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1998
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016381 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 18:29:59.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 24634 79326
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
The bowl barrow 850m north west of North Farm survives comparatively well and has been shown from a small scale excavation to contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bowl barrow located 850m north west of North Farm,
south of the M4 motorway. The site is situated on the crest of a chalk
The mound of the barrow is 35m diameter, 1m high and is surrounded by a ditch
from which material was quarried during its construction. This has become
infilled over the years and survives as a buried feature 3m wide now visible
on aerial photographs.
A small scale excavation by A D Passmore in 1895 revealed a primary cremation
burial together with a bronze dagger and a flint arrowhead.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 28947
Legacy System: RSM
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing