Moated site at Sherrard's Green
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016441.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 22:47:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 79875 46193
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Sherrard's Green survives as a well-preserved monastic moat with associated later domestic and agricultural development. The island is expected to preserve evidence of former structures, including both domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated occupation levels. These remains will illustrate the nature of use of the moated site as a possession of the Priory of Great Malvern, and the lifestyle of its inhabitants. In addition, it will preserve evidence which will facilitate the dating of the construction and subsequent periods of use of the moat. The moat ditch can be expected to preserve earlier deposits including evidence of its construction and any alterations during its active history. The waterlogged condition of the moat will also preserve artefactual and environmental information about the ecosystem and landscape in which it was set.
The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a medieval monastic
moat at Sherrard's Green. The monument is located on level ground to the east
of Great Malvern and was a holding of the Priory of Great Malvern. Following
the Dissolution of the Monasteries the site, known as Moat Court, was leased
to Richard Berde in 1541, passing through two other families before settling
in the possession of the Moores in 1565.
The moat, which measures approximately 6m to 10m wide by 1m to 2m deep, is
water-filled. It was enlarged at some point, and the earthwork remains of the
infilled, original south arm are visible as a depression approximately 6m wide
by 0.1m to 0.5m deep, situated centrally along the north-south axis of the
island. The original island would thus have measured approximately 50m by 45m.
The enlarged island is rectangular and measures approximately 90m by 45m.
Access is gained via a modern bridge just north of the centre of the eastern
arm of the ditch. This bridge is excluded from the scheduling, although the
ground beneath it is included. Moat Court, a Grade II Listed Building, is
located on the island and excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath it is included. An eastern extension of 10m to the southern arm is
believed to represent a cart wash or sheep dip.
The moat is fed in the north west corner from a large pond 100m to the north,
on the opposite side of the main road. This pond is believed to have been one
of a number of ponds which both fed the moat and powered a mill, the location
of which is uncertain. The ponds are believed to have been modified and are
therefore not included in the scheduling.
A leat leaves the moat to the west from the junction with the original
southern arm and represents the original overflow/outlet leat for the moat.
This leat runs to the south, adjacent to the extended western arm of the moat
for its full length. The moat now drains via its south western corner.
Abutting the moat to the east is a model farmyard dating to 1772 which retains
many of its original features, including a Grade II Listed dovecote which is
located in the north western range of buildings. The dovecote and farm
buildings are not included in the scheduling.
All modern fencing and surfaces, Moat Court and the modern bridge are excluded
from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Dissolution records, (1530)
various, Record Cards, (1960)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing