Two bowl barrows 300m south east of the Club House on Petersfield Heath Common, part of the Petersfield Heath Group


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1016452

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1932

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-1999


Ordnance survey map of Two bowl barrows 300m south east of the Club House on Petersfield Heath Common, part of the Petersfield Heath Group
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:47:23.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire (District Authority)

Parish: Petersfield

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 75814 23062


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows - rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including several different types of round barrow, occasionally associated with earlier long barrows. Where large scale investigation has been undertaken around them, contemporary or later "flat" burials between the barrow mounds have often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland Britain, with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases, they are clustered around other important contemporary monuments such as henges. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape, whilst their diversity and their longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving or partly-surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Bowl barrows are the most numerous form of round barrow and date from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500BC. The two bowl barrows on Petersfield Heath Common 300m south east of the Club House survive well despite some later disturbance by modern roads and the use of the area as a public recreation ground. These and the other barrows in the group can be expected to retain important archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the cemetery and the environment in which it was constructed.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes two bowl barrows of Late Neolithic to Bronze Age date situated on low lying ground at the eastern margin of Petersfield Heath Common. These two barrows form part of a round barrow cemetery east of Heath Pond, known as the Petersfield Heath Group. Now comprising a total of 21 barrows, a first edition Ordnance Survey map dated to 1810 indicates that this round barrow cemetery was formerly more extensive, including further barrows situated to the north and east, now destroyed by modern housing. The two barrows are situated about 15m apart, between a modern cricket ground and Heath Road East. They are separated by a modern earthen footpath. The western barrow includes a flat-topped mound which is roughly circular in shape. It stands approximately 1.2m high and is 20m in diameter. A shallow ditch extending north from the north east side of the barrow is a modern drainage ditch and is therefore not included in the scheduling except where it falls within the constraint area. The eastern barrow includes a flat-topped mound which has been clipped to the east by Heath Road and is now irregularly oval in shape. The mound stands 1.6m high and has a north-south diameter of 25m. A shallow central depression is indicative of later excavation, whilst narrow berms on the south and north west sides and a low mound extending from the south east side are all the result of later tree-fall damage. Both barrow mounds have surrounding quarry ditches of approximately 2m wide. These are no longer visible at ground level having been infilled over the years. The boundary fence which crosses the east side of the monument is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32532

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, 'Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club' in Hampshire Barrows, , Vol. 14, (1939)

End of official listing