Moated site and fishponds 300m south west and 470m north of Durrance Farm
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Moated site and fishponds 300m south west and 470m north of Durrance Farm
List entry Number: 1016480
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Upton Warren
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 07-Jul-1999
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site and fishponds 300m south west and 470m north of Durrance Farm survive as a largely undisturbed and well preserved example of a medieval moated site, despite some disturbance of its associated fishpond complex and water control features. Excavations on the island and through the ditches of the moat have confirmed the preservation of archaeological deposits and evidence of former structures, including both domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated occupation levels. These remains will illustrate the nature of use of the site and the lifestyle of its inhabitants in addition to providing evidence which will facilitate the dating of the construction and subsequent periods of use of the moat. The moat ditch will preserve earlier deposits including evidence of its construction and alterations during its active history. Fishponds are artificially created pools of slow moving fresh water constructed for the purpose of breeding and storing fish in the medieval period and reached a peak of popularity in the 12th century. Fishponds were often grouped together, either clustered or in line, and joined by leats, each pond being stocked with a different age or species of fish, which could be transferred to other bodies of water such as moats. They were largely the province of the wealthier sectors of society and are considered important as a source of information concerning the rural economy of various classes of medieval settlements and institutions. The fishpond is expected to preserve evidence for its construction and use, while its waterlogged deposits will preserve climatic and environmental information about its management regime.
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a medieval moated
site and associated fishpond complex within two areas of protection. The first
area includes the moated site, attached fishpond and leat, while the second
includes a further fishpond and leat 600m north west of the moat. The monument
is located on Keuper Marl with substantial drift deposits in a shallow valley
10km to the west of Bromsgrove. It is believed the site may be that of Cooksey
Excavations in the 1950s identified three main periods of development.
Between 1200 and 1250 a small irregular shaped moated site was constructed.
The moat ditch was later recut between 1250 and 1300 when buildings were
erected on the island. The site remained in this form until 1350 to 1450 when
the site was modified to its present form and the fishponds were added.
The moated site includes a dry ditch which surrounds a rectangular island 39m
by 44m which is approximately 1m higher than the surrounding ground level, and
is uneven with the remains of seven trenches left by archaeological excavation
in the 1950s clearly visible. To the south the moat ditch has been widened
for two thirds of its length to approximately 30m, and the retaining dam for
this widening is clearly visible. The north, west and east arms are
approximately 6m to 12m wide, and all arms of the moat are approximately 2m to
3m deep. The present stream runs southwards passing adjacent to the eastern
arm of the moat in a 2m to 3m deep cutting which appears to be natural. The
earthwork remains of a pond are visible, connecting to the centre of
the northern arm of the moat ditch. A leat runs northwards from the north
eastern corner of the moat for approximately 300m before dividing to the north
west and north east and connecting with further ponds. The leat is dry and
approximately 2m to 3m wide by 2m to 3m deep running parallel with and east of
the present stream for approximately 100m at which point it is no longer
Approximately 300m north east of the moat are the remains of a large pond,
originally connected to the leat, which utilised the natural contours of the
land for water retention. A second pond, also connected by a leat lies a
further 200m to the north east. These ponds have been damaged by later
landscaping and agriculture and are not, therefore, included in the
A final pond lies 600m to the north east of the moat, within the second area
of protection. This pond is waterlogged, with a stream running southwards
through its centre. It measures approximately 100m north to south
by approximately 30m west to east. At its southern end are the remains of a
dam approximately 6m wide by 30m long. A section of the leat supplying water
to the fishpond complex and lying to the west of the pond is included in the
A circular pond approximately 30m to the north east is believed to represent a
later marl pit and is not included in the scheduling.
All modern fencing is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
Books and journals
Oswald, A, Taylor, G S, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Durrance Moat, Upton Warren, Worcestershire., , Vol. LXXIX, (1961), 61-75
Oswald, A, Taylor, G S, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Provisional List of Moats, Worcestershire, , Vol. LXXIX, (1961), 61-75
Bond, C.J., Provisional List of Moats in Worcestershire, (1972)
National Grid Reference: SO 90747 71054, SO 90941 71590
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016480 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Apr-2018 at 09:19:33.
End of official listing