Earthwork enclosure 850m north of Mere Down Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1016911

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Sep-1999

Map

Ordnance survey map of Earthwork enclosure 850m north of Mere Down Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016911 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:43:34.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kingston Deverill

National Grid Reference: ST 83399 35530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Earthern enclosures provide evidence of land use and agricultural practices in the prehistoric and Romano-British period, although later examples are also known. They were constructed as stock pens or as protected areas for crop growing and were sometimes subdivided to provide temporary accommodation for stock, farmers or herdsmen. The size and form of enclosures may vary considerably depending on their particular function. Although it has been partially reduced by ploughing, the prehistoric earthwork enclosure to the north of Mere Down Farm is a good example of this type of monument. The association of the enclosure with the surrounding field system provides an important insight into late prehistoric farming practice in this area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a prehistoric earthwork enclosure situated 850m north of Mere Down Farm the north facing slope of Middle Hill, a ridge of Upper Chalk to the south of Kingston Deverill. The enclosure is rectangular, 150m long and 75m wide, with its long axis orientated roughly east-west. It consists of an inner bank up to 6m wide and 1.2m high surrounded by a ditch 0.5m deep and up to 4m wide. To the north east this is flanked by an outer bank 3m wide and 1.2m high. There is an entrance to the south east comprising a causeway across the ditch 3m wide. The bank and ditch to the west, the ditch to the south and the bank to the western end of the south side have been reduced by ploughing and are visible as soilmarks. The centre of the enclosure has also been ploughed. Aerial photographs of the enclosure show that it aligns with a surrounding late prehistoric field system and may represent an adaption of one of the fields. The field system, which has been reduced by cultivation, is not included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 31682

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1957), 266

End of official listing