This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Ice house 210m north west of Killerton House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Ice house 210m north west of Killerton House

List entry Number: 1017191

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broad Clyst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Nov-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Icehouses are subterranean structures designed specifically to store ice, usually removed in winter from ponds and used in the summer for preserving food and cooling drinks. Thousands of icehouses have been built in England since the early 17th century. These were initially built only by the upper level of society, but by the end of the 18th century they were commonplace. They continued to be built throughout the 19th century, when huge examples were established by the fishing industry, as well as for use in towns. Icehouses only became obsolete after the introduction of domestic refrigerators in the early 20th century. Of the thousands originally built, some 1500 icehouses have been positively identified through a combination of archaeological and documentary research. Although a relatively common class, most recorded examples with surviving remains will be considered to be of national interest and appropriate for consideration for either scheduling or listing. They are also generally regarded as a significant component of local distinctiveness and character.

The ice house 210m north west of Killerton House was identified in a national survey of ice houses as being of national importance. Despite some early 20th century landscaping of its surrounds, it survives well and retains evidence of its original timber fittings which provide information on its use and construction. It has a documented designer and there are contemporary records describing its filling. In addition to architectural information, the monument will provide details on the methods of food storage in the 19th century prior to the advent of the domestic refrigerator.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes an early 19th century ice house in the grounds of Killerton Gardens. The circular ice house is built into the side of a former quarry later converted into a rock garden. It has external dimensions of about 7m in height and 5m in diameter whilst internally it is just over 6m in height with a diameter of 4.1m. A single narrow entrance gives access to the ice house about 4m above its base. The interior is brick lined and has a conical roof. Its walls have three concentric recessed grooves, each over 1m apart, which perhaps supported timber floors and possibly a timber lining. Each of the grooves has 12 equally spaced radiating timber wall ties. There is an octagonal brick drain at the centre of the base from which runs a drainage channel, about 0.15m wide, which exits below the southern wall. The ice house, which is Listed Grade II, is recorded as having been built in about 1808 for Sir Thomas Acland of Killerton House by the designer John Veitch; it had a maximum capacity of 40 tons of ice which was estimated to be sufficient for three years. In 1900 the ice house was incorporated into a formal rock garden, provided with a stone built, stepped passageway, about 5m long, and had its roof overlain and hidden from view by a rockery. The ice house has been fitted with electricity for display purposes and there is an iron grill across the inner entrance. Killerton Gardens is registered Grade II* in the Register of parks and gardens. All modern fencing, gating, and information boards are excluded from the scheduling, although the structure and fabric behind or beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Acland, A, A Devon Family, (1981)

National Grid Reference: SS 97141 00191

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:02:33.

End of official listing