This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Late prehistoric enclosed settlement on Oldfield Hill, 340m west of Wentworth Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Late prehistoric enclosed settlement on Oldfield Hill, 340m west of Wentworth Farm

List entry Number: 1017272

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Meltham

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 21-Oct-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31494

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The Pennine uplands of northern England contain a wide variety of prehistoric remains, including cairns, enclosures, carved rocks, settlements and field systems. These are evidence of the widespread exploitation of these uplands throughout later prehistory. During the last millennium BC a variety of different types of enclosed settlements developed. These include hillforts, which have substantial earthworks and are usually located on hilltops. Other types of enclosed settlement of this period are less obviously defensive, as they have less substantial earthworks and are usually in less prominent positions. In the Pennines a number of late prehistoric enclosed settlements survive as upstanding monuments. Where upstanding earthworks survive, the settlements are between 0.4ha and 10ha in area, and are usually located on ridges or hillside terraces. The enclosing earthworks are usually slight, most consisting of a ditch with an internal bank, or with an internal and external bank, but examples with an internal ditch and with no ditch are known. They are sub-circular, sub-rectangular, or oval in shape. Few of these enclosed settlements have been subject to systematic excavation, but they are thought to date from between the Late Bronze Age to the Romano-British period (c.1000 BC-AD 400). Examples which have been excavated have presented evidence of settlement. Some appear to have developed from earlier palisaded enclosures. Unexcavated examples occasionally have levelled areas which may have contained buildings, but a proportion may have functioned primarily as stock enclosures. Enclosed settlements are a distinctive feature of the late prehistory of the Pennine uplands, and are important in illustrating the variety of enclosed settlement types which developed in many areas of Britain at this time. Examples where a substantial proportion of the enclosed settlement survives are considered to be nationally important.

The late prehistoric enclosed settlement 340m west of Wentworth Farm survives well. It is one of two similar enclosed settlements on the south side of Meltham. It contributes to the understanding of late prehistoric settlement and land use in northern England.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a `D'-shaped late prehistoric enclosed settlement. It is situated on Oldfield Hill, 340m west of Wentworth Farm. The enclosure is approximately 80m by 85m in overall size. It has an earth and stone bank about 9m wide and 0.8m high, with an internal ditch on all but the south east side. On this side, the bank runs along the top of a steep scarp. The site was first excavated by I A Richmond in 1923 who found a double gateway and causeway on the north east side. Subsequent excavations in 1960-1 revealed two possible occupation phases. The surface of the track at the west corner of the enclosure and the fence bordering the track on the south west side of the enclosure are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Huddersfield Archaeological Society' in Huddersfield Archaeological Society Bulletin 1960 1961 1962, (1960)
Richmond, I A, 'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. XXVII, (1924)

National Grid Reference: SE 08745 10097

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:02:37.

End of official listing